Causes and Remedy for weight gain before periods
The possible causes of such a condition can be:
- Hormones fluctuation - Hormones (e.g. progesterone, Serotonin) levels fluctuates during the menstrual cycle and this has a big impact on the mood and health of a person. This can also cause some changes to the body.
- Fluid retention - Water retention in tissues is the most common cause of temporary weight gain prior to period. This is a direct consequence of hormonal imbalances and in some cases a diet rich on sodium will amplify this factor.
- Food cravings - Food cravings may occur as a reaction to changes in hormone levels and the changes in body. When people feel stressed or depressed, they usually eat more.
- Low Magnesium Levels - During pre-menstrual period there is an usual drop of magnesium levels in blood. This may cause an increased in sugar craving and may lead to overeating
- and/or simply natural preparation for the monthly menstrual cycle which can cause bleeding and iron deficiency. The body prepares itself for such a situation. This starts at Follicular Stage and ends during the period stage.
How to fight this syndrome?
To prevent or minimize water retention, it is recommended to decrease sodium/salt intake and to prefer healthy foods and vegetables consumption which will prevent bloating and constipation. Bloating and constipation are common symptoms during the menstrual cycle. Having a healthy lifestyle with healthy diet is always good in combating weight gain before periods. You must also prefer low salt foods, whole grains and salads while reducing alcohol and caffeine rich drinks consumption.
It is also recommended to drink plenty of water as this will fight water weight gain.